Topics of interest backlog

My list of “topics of interest” has gotten too long, so rather than process them directly, I’m going to introduce an intermediate step in which I share briefly why I’m interested in exploring that topic.

I expect that when I read my descriptions I will have an easier time determining which topics are most relevant to my contemporary play.

I find this region fascinating for it’s geological composition as well as the pre-historical relevance to the human species.

This org/movement pops up in my peripheral, especially around academics. Sounds interesting. :person_shrugging:

I was going through notes from 2008 and found a reference to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/43_Things

That was such an interesting idea, I enjoyed it for a few years. I bet I could build a smaller scaled version, incorporate it into family forums or something. :thinking:

^!

Here’s the thing thô:

In 18th century British English, before the cheap Penny Post and while paper was taxed, the combination ough was occasionally shortened to ô when the gh was not pronounced, to save space: thô for though, thorô for thorough, and brôt for brought.

:smiley:

https://archivesunleashed.org/

The Archives Unleashed project aims to make petabytes of historical internet content accessible to scholars and others interested in researching the recent past. Our team develops web archive search and data analysis tools to enable scholars, librarians and archivists to access, share, and investigate recent history since the early days of the World Wide Web.

Tophatting tophat
Summary

This is a collection of lessons learned from breaking things. It’s not enough to rely on automated tests.

As you make changes, non-obvious things can break. Manual testing (we call it “tophatting”, or tophat for short) adds that extra degree of certainty that what you’re shipping works and behaves as expected. Both you, as the author of a PR, and someone on your team, should tophat before merging.

It’s referred to as the “Tiffany problem,” and it’s when somebody writing historical fiction does something that is well-researched and accurate, but the reader doesn’t buy it because of their perception of the past.

Who is Tiffany anyway?

Actually, not a person.

The phrase “the Tiffany problem” comes from the name Tiffanie or Tiffania, commonly given to girls born on or close to the feast of the Epiphany.

The name dates back to the 12th century. But if a historical fiction or fantasy writer uses it, a reader is likely to insist that that can’t possibly true. We associate Tiffany with diamonds, an Audrey Hepburn movie, and, well. It’s a modern name.

The term was coined by the wonderful Jo Walton (read her books).